Running holidays are a great way to explore new places, keep fit and have fun at the same time. With so many stunning destinations around the world, it can be hard to choose where to go. Here are some of the best destinations for running holidays that cater to all abilities.
1. Boulder, Colorado, USA – Known as the ‘running mecca’ of America, Boulder is a beautiful mountain town with miles of trails for runners of all levels. The altitude may be challenging, but the views of the Rocky Mountains make it worth it.
2. Cape Town, South Africa – With a mild climate and stunning coastline, Cape Town is a popular destination among runners. The city’s Table Mountain National Park boasts several trails with breathtaking views, and the annual Two Oceans Marathon is a must-attend for serious runners.
3. Chamonix, France – Nestled in the French Alps, this picturesque town offers fantastic trail runs for those who love challenging terrain. The famous Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc race attracts thousands of runners every year, but the trails are accessible to all fitness levels.
4. Queenstown, New Zealand – With its beautiful lake and mountain vistas, Queenstown offers a range of trails for runners, whether you want a scenic jog or a more challenging run. The Queenstown marathon is also a highlight for those who want to race.
5. Bali, Indonesia – For a more tropical running destination, Bali has some excellent trails that incorporate stunning rice paddies, volcanoes and beaches. The Bali Hope Ultra Marathon is a unique and challenging experience for those wanting to push themselves further.
6. Edinburgh, Scotland – Edinburgh is a beautiful city with a rich history and stunning architecture. The annual Edinburgh Marathon Festival is a popular event, but there are also many quiet paths and trails within the city for a more relaxing run.
7. Patagonia, Chile – If you’re looking for a real adventure, Patagonia offers some of the most stunning landscapes in the world. The area is rugged and challenging, with trails that lead through forests, glaciers and mountains. The Patagonian International Marathon is an excellent event for those wanting to challenge themselves and see the beautiful scenery at the same time.
8. Tokyo, Japan – Tokyo may not be the first place that comes to mind for a running holiday, but the city offers fantastic routes through parks and around famous landmarks. The Tokyo Marathon is the most popular event in the city, but you can also explore the city on a more leisurely run.
9. Reykjavik, Iceland – Iceland is a runner’s paradise, with many beautiful trails and runs to explore. Reykjavik’s Midnight Sun Run is a unique experience where you can run through the bright summer night. You’ll also have the opportunity to visit hot springs and see the Northern Lights.
10. Joshua Tree, California, USA – This desert town has stunning trails that wind through rugged landscapes and over boulder-strewn hills. The Joshua Tree Half Marathon is a popular event, but the area is perfect for a more relaxed running holiday too.
No matter what your running level, there is a fantastic destination waiting for you. So get your running shoes ready and start planning your next adventure!